A three-year labour of love restored St Piran’s Church to its former glory…
The restoration of St Piran’s Church in Perranuthnoe was a major project that took several years to complete.
Dating from 1160, the parish church was dedicated to St Piran and St Michael in 1400. Over the centuries works were carried out, including the installation of a tower and an aisle in 1500.
Rothwell Historic Restoration was commissioned to carry out a variety of works on the building. Firstly, the old internal plaster was removed and left to dry out for 18 months.
Once satisfied that the internal walls had dried out, a lime mortar bag rub method was used to achieve a smooth finish. Seven coats of limewash were then applied – creating a beautiful and traditional finish to this lovely church.
Externally, cement pointing was raked out and repointed with a lime mortar. Replacement and repair work was also carried out on the cast iron guttering